The Developmental Disabilities Association partook in this years 2009 Recycling Council of BC’s Zero Waste Conference, which was held May 27-29, at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort in Whistler, BC. The theme for the conference was ECOnomics: The Green Economy Summit. Members of the Association attending the conference included our president, John Neilson, along with Deanna Barlow, Jason Smith, and Rob Fourchalk. We were very pleased to be this years recipient of a Mobi Award for Non-Profit Achievement in Excellence and Leadership in Environmental Stewardship.
The overall conference was a fun an educational experience. In addition to receiving an award, we also had the opportunity to meet a lot of other people who shared similar interests in environmental stewardship. Some of the people we met up with include:
- Pat Taylor from Carney’s Waste Systems
- Emy Lai from the City of Richmond
- Ela Lukowska from Corporations of Delta
- Tamara Shulman from the District of West Vancouver
- Ric Mallett from Ecosafe Compostable
- Sandy Sigmund from Encorp Pacific
- Mike Hofer from Fraser Valley Regional District
- Barbara Hetherington and Buddy Boyd from Gibsons Recycling Depot
- Jodie Becker and Lindsay O’Donnell from the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE)
- Anna Rochelle and Ben Ramos from the Recycling Council of British Columbia (RCBC)
- Susan Antler and Dana Uhl-Griffiths from the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation
- Jeff Rollins from Rollins Machinery
- and Dyanne Wayland from Zero Waste Products
The opportunity to meet with and discuss environmental initiatives with other like-minded individuals was a fantastic opportunity for our representatives from the Developmental Disabilities Association. The entire conference was a great experience and we’re looking forward to attending next year’s conference as well. Thank you everybody for making this an enjoyable conference!